Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

frecuency stability(PPM) in a PLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

davicente

Electrical
Nov 21, 2002
ES
Hello, my name is David.I`d like to know if the frecuency stability of the output signal in a PLL is the same as in the clock reference used in the loop.I mean, if the reference clock is 4 PPM, and the PLL has a multilplicative factor x15 to obtain a 300 MHZ output signal, has this output signal also a frecuency stablity of 4PPM?does the PLL only make the phase noise of the output signal get worse?
I`ll be deligthed to know any link to application notes or articles related with this toipic.
Tanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks nbucska for your answer, but I didn't find a suitable article in the web, could you please be more specific about a weblink related with this topic?
thanks again.

Hi again nbucska,actually, I have an specific question:I'm working with a DDS which handles a 300 MHZ clock to generate a 120 MHZ output signal.The system obtains the 300 MHz clock from a 20 MHZ(4 PPM) reference through a PLL with a x15 multiplication factor.I know that the output signal from a DDS maintains the frecuency stability of the system clock (300 MHZ in this case), so the question is calculating the frecuency stability in PPM of the 300 MHZ clock , knowing that the reference for the PLL is a 20 MHz reference with 20 PPM.This is my real problem.
I hope this could help you to better understand my problem.
Thanks for your former answer, by the moment I'll try with last links you told me.

AREVALO

The basic of the PLL: The frequency is controlled by the
AVERAGE of the phase error. Averaging == low pass filtering.

The frequency stability of the clock is a two edges sworld:

It may increase the max. frequency usable but generates more
noise. <nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back