Free Body Diagram Reactions - Wall Mounted Component

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davy Pee

Mechanical
Dec 6, 2023
US
Hey Eng-Tips,

I have a device mounted on a wall, which I'm trying to see if it can support. I have applied load P1 at the end, and component weight applied in the center, P2, at L1 and L2, respectively. The device has two supports, A and B, which I'm trying to find the horizontal reactions for, if any.

Thanks

IMG_E7458_wog9xk.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you attempted a solution? Perhaps this should be in the student forum? No offense intended, but I would expect a second semester freshman to be able to solve this in his/her sleep...

(Also, you're neglecting your vertical reactions necessary to complete the FBD.)

The vertical reactions are split between A and B, assuming they are pinned. Conservatively, I would size both supports for V = P1+P2, assuming one is a vertical roller.

In the spirit of phamENG's post, I will not divulge the horizontal reactions.

I assumed the reaction moment (Rm) would be at d/2, and from there got the following:

sum of moments about d/2 = 0 = P2L2 + P1L1 - Ra(d/2) - Rb(d/2)

P2L2 + P1L1 = Ra(d/2) + Rb(d/2)

(P2L2 + P1L1)/(d/2) = Ra + Rb; Ra = -Rb

clockwise moments are positive.

But I'm not sure this is correct. I'm not concerned about the vertical reactions.

The 'reaction moment' is the moment formed by Ra and Rb - it doesn't occur at some point. The summation of moments about any point is zero and the moment induced at a point by a force whose vector passes through that point is zero, so a good strategy is to select such a point to sum your moments. So if you select point B and sum moments about point B, Rb drops out and you only have one unknown which allows you to solve for Ra directly.

Ok so it seems I was on the right track. I know you can select any point, but I never understood why that is, but that's outside the scope of this question anyway. Thanks.

No problem.

It's because, for the system to be in static equilibrium, the sum of all moments must be zero. This is true throughout the system, from all vantage points. If there were a point anywhere in the system that this is not true, it would not be in equilibrium. So the point you selected, along the line between A and B but halfway in between, is correct. BUT...from a mathematical point of view it's unhelpful because you have one equation and two unknowns.

I too thought "why the mid-point ?" but I can see that it's an easy way to visualise the couple. "any" point is correct, but less intuitive, and I think the OP learnt something too !

It is easy to see, take moments about A ... Rb = (P1*L1+P2*L2)/d

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back