Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free contour maps 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCEngr1

Structural
Aug 23, 2006
US
I need to get a rough estimate of the off-site flow onto a project site. Are there free CONTOUR MAPS available on-line?

("You're only as old as you want to feel." - Satchel Paige)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the links.

I can't seem to find any free download. It wants me to order a map for a fee.

I guess that is the only way to get a topo map on-line - to pay for it?

("You're only as old as you feel." - Satchel Paige)

Some state agencies, such as Dept of Mines, may have topo online.

Some colleges and universities have topo online - esp. schools with geology or geography programs.

my experience is by the time you fart around trying to find the free topo that you need, you can buy the dirt cheap USGS maps and finish the project. at my billing rates, the free topo is not really free...

Google microsoft terraserver there are acouple links that are fee based and at least one that is not. Can chose topo or arieal photo

i guess there should be an additional question: to what scale maps are you interested?

most usgs maps are 20-30' contours. the generated map link i posted will generate maps to any scale. keep in mind that the quality of maps depends on the database used (1-arc, 1/3 arc, or 1/9 arc).basically, 1/3 arc has 10' vertical accuracy and 1/9 arc has 3' accuracy. they are also reportedly updated annually, but i have seen instances where i would argue that it is not. as always, use any map with caution and confirm the map correlates with field conditions.

The seamless usgs server allows you to select your project site and it will cut out the area from whatever data you have selected (doqq, quad, dem, etc.)

seamless.usgs.gov

Of course it's not good to use this data for final design purposes, but it can give you a general idea.

my post uses seamless server data. the hardest part about it all is that the server doesn't always cooperate...and that will always be when it's a last minute thing and you're in a rush. works good for generating a topo map and then stick it in the gps so that you can use it walking in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back