Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Free(ish) to a Good Home 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbeach

Electrical
Mar 13, 2003
US
I need to be reducing my library for an eventual move to smaller quarters.

There's a couple of groups of books that I can easily part with, but really hate to just dump them into the recycling.

First is ten years worth (1983-1992) of the Hewlett Packard Electronic Instruments and Systems catalogs. Along the way they changed the title to Test and Measurement catalogs. The 1989 volume proclaims it as being the 50th anniversary edition. At one point these would have been the annual "wish book" for a certain sector of the industry.

The second group is the NEC from 1981 through 2005. In addition to the code books themselves, many years include the NFPA code handbook and the McPartland handbook. Some years also include other supporting material such as the Soares Grounding book.

Everything is obviously decades out of date but maybe of interest to somebody.

Any/all of it could be yours for the cost of shipping it from the general area of Portland OR to where ever. No idea at this point what shipping might cost, and that obviously depends on how much goes where.

I think that first preference would go to somebody that wants a group in its entirety, followed by parting them out. Somebody in easy driving distance could get the whole kit and caboodle if they desired.

They certainly look impressive on the shelf, but I haven't used any of them in a very long time and don't expect that I ever would again. The HP stuff moved out of active consideration long ago and nearly 20 years ago I moved into the NEC(2005) 90.2(B)(5) realm and don't expect that I'd ever cross back over that boundary again.

If there's a distinct interest, I can create and share a "burner" email address for working out the details.

When one this sentence into the German to translate wanted, would one the fact exploit, that the word order and the punctuation already with the German conventions agree.

-- Douglas Hofstadter, Jan 1982

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your kind offer makes me wish I was 20years younger and could use them.
That is a nice offer David.
Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Not as bad as just dumping into the recycle bin is a donation to the local library; they'll get sold at a quarter a pop, but I'm not sure how many people actually buy books from the library. And, I don't know what they do when books don't sell at all.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I twice have bought older HP and Tek catalogs off of eBay as an aid in evaluating used test equipment options before purchasing. The last three companies I've worked for since 1998 made heavy used of equipment made before the date of your earliest 1983 catalog. Even now at work I use a paralleled pair of HP6269B power supplies for state-of-the-art inverter development. They are inefficient and large, but they have one feature NO modern power supply has. They 'hum' in proportion to their load. This allows me to monitor with my ears as I concentrate on the scope - a Tektronix TDS3000B series with floppy drive. And my CAD workstation has a USB floppy drive for those waveforms I capture.
Those catalog cover older equipment. Many companies no longer understand the concept of capital equipment budgets. And the companies I have worked for are not hole-in-the-wall garage shops. In 1999 I used a HP428B current meter with all of it's vacuum tubes to monitor supply currents on a telemetry receiver. That receiver is now on the International Space Station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back