Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Free sources for material property data 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
What are some good free sources for material property data? In particular I'm looking for info on a broad range of stainless steels.

The ASM volumes are an option but they aren't at ready use. Are there any sites you'd recommend. I want to find some information for a broad range of grades.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SSINA (Specialty Steel Industry of North America) is an excellent source of information on stainless steels. Check out their publications section:

As NickE mentioned, Carpenter ( is an excellent source of information. Other manufacturers of stainless steel with technical information on their websites include the following:

Allegheny Ludlum

AK Steel

AvestaPolarit

Sandvik

ThyssenKrupp Nirosta

Another excellent source of SS info is the Nickel Development Institute,
with 375 technical papers, etc., as free downloads.

Another great source (& easy to navigate) is the Stainless Steel Property Database at

Stainless Plate Products has less content, but you can find info, shapes & stock quickly for standard grades of SS:

Here's a concise page on SS welding electrodes:

Here's a description of Basic Mill Plate Finishes for Stainless Steel, with surface roughness values R[sub]a[/sub]

Atlas Steel has a straightforward site for SS tech. info:

Edstrom is a specialized site dealing with SS water sytems; deals with chlorination, bacteria, corrosion, lab water:

Finally, honorable mention goes to the Australian Stainless Steel Development Association

This thread should be made into a Comprehensive listing... We could all use a list of the man and varied free list of materials data sources.. i've found out about several through this board...

Hmmmm ..

When I get some free time I'll try and compile a list.....

I'll post here for edits and addendums.

Nick

Thanks for the links guys.

Yeah I'm actually making my own little web page full of good links. I just want the best of course. Sometimes you notice people with a web page full of way too many links. It's hard to know what is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back