Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

free space optical data links

Status
Not open for further replies.

UWB

Electrical
May 1, 2003
US
I have read in the literature about extending networks in urban settings using free space optics to link networks in seperate buildings. My application is mobile instrumentation. I need to set up the sensor collect the data and link it to a remote recording facility over ranges of 100 to 2500 meters. Set up times of up to two hours would be acceptable. RF links would be considered a source of interference. Fiber optics have been used up to this point, but installation is rigid and costly. I have considered back haul channels as an alternative to the network technology, but don't have any experience. Does anybody have any experience with similar applications?
UWB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the data rate and how much delay you can tolerate
for error correction ? You need it (insects, birds, etc)

Can you tolerate fog, rain, snow ?

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

I enjoy 345 days of sunshine a year, so rain, fog, and snow do not interfer with the data collection. Sand and wind are more the norm for here. The data is acquired in bursts of a few seconds and stored in memory. 10BaseT ethernet would be adequate and with a TCP/IP protocol we would insure the data end to end. 100BaseT would be even better. The oscopes have network and storage built into them.

In this case you have to worry about only birds and bees
and some windblown junks.

Error correction or detection + repeat would be anough
If you need more help, give more data !

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back