Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Freelance Designer - asked to work onsite

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbochung

Mechanical
May 28, 2004
CA
This is my 2nd year of incorporation and going out my own. Last year was alright but now most of my clients are really slow (automotive). To help drum up new business I've been cold-calling and networking. However, it seems that the great majority of people would rather hire me full-time rather than farm-out work. Are there others who are experiencing the same thing?

Thanks

Tim Chung
Mechanical Designer, CSWP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mike,

I wonder that could be related to your industry. I was just corresponding with a gentlemen in Australia who is a P.Eng and does structural drawings for a living. With construction, is it very up and down with demand? My specialty is more automation for the automotive industry. However, with the sector as it is, I've been calling around inquiring more as a Solidworks designer.

Tim Chung

Oh yea... It's the industry - the whole construction industry here.

Went to the food bank yesterday and saw three of my friends there too. A new experience with an ego check.

Back in 2000 I said we were going to get Bushwacked or Gored. Wish I'd been wrong.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

It could be your industry or your region that affects the company's decision to hire or contract you. It could also be the mentality of the company. Some are used to outsourcing work and like contractors and others are very old-school and like to keep everything close to home and hire you on.

I have an automation background as well and have been offered permanent and contract work in varying industries. The jobs range from designer (these positions offered employment) to CAD jockey (contract).

Automationbabe, on a different tangent - do you adjust your rates according to what they are hiring you for? Before I kept my designer rate regardless but in hindsite - I think I was a bit lucky with one of my clients who was in a different industry. Although I was told that my caliber of work was excellent - I guess it's whatever that particular industry or position is used to.

Tim Chung

It is really slow in PA in the consulting field. At our weekly engineering bull session my one friend stated..
"One or two of our clients is just give us some odd and end work because they don't want to see us close"
Where upon, another said "It is truly a wise company to have this philosophy because they do needed the outside consultants but most companies don't realize it "
Isn't this revolutionary thinking?

JIM

Lansford, you are fortunate to have a good client like that. I think alot of companies have had bad experiences with outside help and view it as a neccessary evil rather than a resource. Good for you!

Tim Chung

msquared48,

I too am very sorry to hear about your situation, and the situation of your friends. Hope things turn around for you soon.

-EC

I'm in HVAC design and construction engineering and there are ups and downs over the years.

I would say that when client sees that you have no many options (or you reveal it!), he/she often tries to use the chances to "put you in the box".

That even mean that he/she apprciate value of your work, but that doen't help your business' independency...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back