Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freely available chemical engineering articles online 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeychok

Chemical
Jul 5, 1999
US
This is a list of freely-available, interesting and educational online articles on chemical engineering subjects:

Compressibility factor (gases)
Henry's law
Ammonia production
Conventional coal-fired power plant
Continuous distillation
Theoretical plate
Petroleum refining processes
Fluid catalytic cracking
Air pollution dispersion modeling
Air pollution dispersion terminology

The above articles are NOT from Wikipedia. They are all open source, high-quality articles from the online Citizendium encyclopedia. This is but a small sample of what is available at Chemical Engineering subgroup articles.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Thank you Mr Beychok as always very helpful.

A piece of advice for the younger engineers in the audience, these are some invaluable tools that I would have loved to have when I was a younger engineer. So help yourself and bookmark these links. I will!

Mr. Beychok,

Could you add this information as a FAQ? It is very valuable, and it'd be much easier to find there in the future versus the millions of posts to search.

Good luck,
Latexman

Hi, Latexman:

Yes, I will include the links in a FAQ as soon as I can find some time. Good idea!

Meanwhile, the above listing of links includes one with a typo ... and it should be corrected with:

Ammonia production

(I really wish this forum would let posters revise their posts to correct mistakes!!! Especially for two-finger typists like me.)

Milton Beychok

Hello Mr. Beychok,

I found an example of your procedure for tray-by-tray design of sour water strippers:

but I'm not sure about step 17, is not L1 supposed to be only water: L1= F_h2o + RD_h2o + steam condensed?

also, in the same step, the Author calculates heat required to vaporize H2S in tray1, but he doesn't take into account for NH3,is that correct?

thank you in advance

ZorN

zorn:

My book "Aqueous Wastes from Petroleum and Petrochemical Plants" was published in 1967 ... 42 years ago. At that time, there were no electronic calculators (hand-held or desktop) and there were no desktop computers. All we had were slide rules with which to do our calculations.

Since then, a number of people have improved upon the Van Krevelin data and sour water stripping design is part of some of the available process simulator software packages.

The book you found, "Absorption and Stripping" by P. Chattopadhyay, was published by Asian Books Pvt. Ltd. in 2007 and purports to duplicate the design in my book. Why anyone would want to use my obsolete hand-calculation method today is beyond me.

I was completely unaware of Chattopadhyay's book and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. But I really don't have the time (or inclination, to be honest) to try and explain any differences between his book and mine. In fact, I am not even sure if I still have a copy of my book somewhere.

Milton Beychok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back