Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

freescale mpc565 processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmelacom

Automotive
Feb 15, 2009
US
anyone out there have any background on the Motorola mpc565 processor. It's used primarily in late model automotive engine management systems. I need to figure out how to read the embedded memory modules inside the processor. Any guidance would be great. I have located all the data sheets on the processor but don't understand how to read the memory. I've worked with surface mount flash memory chips.Desolder, pop it int a reader and the read and write is not difficult. Of course check sum correction is required as well. my efforts are to recalibrate the look up tables for ignition and fuel calibration for a supercharger application. I have a BDM module that works on some ECUs with teh same processor but this particular ECU has no pads on the board for BDM as far as I can tell. The processor also has a ball grid surface mount and I've never messed with anything like this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unlike flash chips, microcontrollers typically have security fuses that prevent you from reading the memory inside them. This is to prevent people from reverse-engineering the code.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn and Melone

I appreciated your response

I develope supercharger upgrades for euro cars. You can see the hardware I currently use to retune the ECUs at They do not support this particular ECU. I'm not imterested in reverse engineering but rather recalibrating the lookup tables to support larger fuel injectors. My website is There you can see the various prodcuts I've developed that require recalibrating the ECU. It's very common in the aftermarket automotive performance field to do this. Many manufactures offer tools to do this but Aston Martin is not one of them.

Well, you just have to figure out what pin A-M uses for field reprogramming, and how to talk to them...

.. or roach on an external processor that reads the same inputs, and when necessary, modifies the signal going to the injector drivers.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back