Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freewheel Clutch for Bi-Directional Conveyor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvpieper

Electrical
Sep 27, 2002
US
I am designing a bi-directional conveyor and need to let a 0.75hp motor slip when the other motor is running in the opposite direction.
Am I looking for a 'freewheel' or a 'clutch'? Can anyone recommend a product, manufacturer, or a selection guide?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The highest shaft speed would be at the motor, therefore 1725rpm (perhaps 1140rpm). Belt speed is 50fpm.
Originally, I was hoping for a purely mechanical disengagement, meaning that the clutch would simply slip in one direction, but perhaps this is subject to wear, noise, etc? Nonetheless, disengagement must be automatic, therefore, I can control disengagement with the same PLC which is controlling the motor.
Reversing starter will not work, because a conveyor must be pulled (not pushed), which is why two motors are being used Each motor is placed at opposite ends of the conveyor, one pulls for 'Load', the other pulls for 'Unload'. When one motor is running, the other must be disengaged.

EdDanzer, I will direct couple a 1:40 speed reducer, which will reduce the motors output shaft speed from 1750rpm to 44rpm. The max output torque rating is ~1000 in-lbs.

Torrington makes over running clutches that might work. It sounds like your conveyor is sm***, so it is possible to push or pull the belt if tension is properly applied and the rollers are configured correctly. We built some conveyors that pushed the belt because there was no room at the discharge end for the drive.

EdDanzer, thank you. I checked out Torrington, which is now Timken. Timken's RC series is a mechanical 'overrun' clutch that I was ideally looking for, but it does not have the necessary torque rating. Nonetheless, I have another vendor that is sending me info on their solenoid-operated clutch. Again, thanks for your help.

you also might want to try NEXEN. They provide air operated clutches and brakes for power transmission. We use them to "zone" our conveyors.

You mentioned that you looked at the Timken/Torrington light duty roller clutches. It sounds like you are looking for a one-way clutch to carry torque in one direction and freewheel in the opposite. You might want to try looking at a couple of other guys, Colfax Marland clutch/Formsprag make clutches for a lot of industrial applications like yours. Some of the bigger guys like BorgWarner/NSK-Warner have do mostly O/E clutches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back