Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freeze on pipe where fluids go FAST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saver2008

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2008
MX
Hi!!

I have to demonstrate that in pipe lines (where gas and vapours are in)when these fluids go fast (It means the flows have a high velocity) have as a result the following:

-Pipe tends to get freezed.

Where can I get info of that?

Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not where they go fast, where a gas under high pressure reduces pressure quickly the temperture also reduces and can sometimes freeze the moisture in the surrounding air.

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

Since you have two phase flow in a pipeline I would assume your pipeline is transporting something besides water. So I would recommend you check the freezing point of your material before worrying if its going freeze. Of course I guess you could be operating a vacuum pipeline for water.

water flows 2 phase every time you have a bubble in there!

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

When you say "gas and vapors" ,it could imply a gas well. Methane ice blockage of wellhead chokes is a commomn problem. If that is the situation , try the petroleum catagory: choke heaters, alcohol injection, 2 stage chokes, etc.

Biginch is correct, if the velocities are high, the pressures will be low, and sudden decreases in pressure of gases at high velocity(two phase or not)result in temperture drop.

Open a heat transfer textbook for force convection, as the fluid moves inside the pipeline a boundary layer develops where the fluid is less than full velocity and the heat transfer coefficient changes. The boundayr layer increases in size the longer the fluid is not tripped by say an elbow/reducer/valve etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back