Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freeze Protection Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

YungPlantEng

Chemical
Jan 19, 2022
US
Was wondering if any standards exist on freeze protection exists for tank farm pumps that are not always recirculating (or might fail to start due to misc. issues) as well as condensate piping due to boiler transient outages. Would I need to install by-drains at every possible dead leg or would the fluid expand in such a way that I could more strategically select where to put these?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure there is any sort of standard here but can you elaborate?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

When process streams go stagnant and stream temps drop, heat tracing kicks in where freeze protection is required to prevent plugging in piping. Electric heat tracing is more reliable with no hot spots compared to steam tracing. Steam traps are usually provided at low points in steam piping.

I don't know of any industry standards but large Oil and Gas, refining and chemical plant companies have their own specifications for Winterization and Heat Tracing. I have some but should not share on internet. However if you do a search for winterization or winterizing and heat tracing you can find some company specs on the internet. Here is one I just found doing the search below. Also you can find a lot of articles and guidance about winterization on the internet by doing the same search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back