Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

French drain constantly wet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdjailani

Computer
Jan 18, 2005
US
Hi All,

I recently installed a french draing around the perimeter of my basement from the inside. The drain is connected to 2 sumps diagonaly across from each other.

The problem is both sump pump are constantly working (rain or no rain)

Any insight?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi md - I am assuming the pumps are always on because they are constantly seeing inflow (as opposed to a problem with the float, in which case the pumps would have burnt out already). Are you aware of where the groundwater table is? Use of an hand auger could help determine that for a depth of about five feet, (call uloco for utility locations near a house). If the water table is natually above the pipe invert and the soils have high permeability, the pumps very well could run constantly. If the basement was in fair condition and the house has been around awhile, i would think the gw would have been lower.

Just curious as to how you installed a french drain from the inside of the basement? Hopefully, you did not rupture a water line, which would explain the constant outflow. It is either that, a sewer main (but you would smell that), or what cemorway says.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

If you had a good reason to install a french drain (like you wanted to keep your basement dry), then I see the result as good. The pumps are there for the purpose of getting rid of all the water that may otherwise be ponding on your basement floor. Just make certain, as cermorway eludes, that the pump and/or floats are not broken. Simple check is to pull the lid on the sump well, and see if water is constantly trickling into the sump well from the drain. Then watch the whole cycle, water in, float up, pump on, water out, float drops, pump off (repeat cycle). Sorry for the over simplification.

Realize that the pumps just don't run when it rains, as groundwater can be present despite the absence of rain. The result is that the pumps will pump groundwater until such time that the groundwater level is lower than the invert of the french drain. This may occur in the summer and fall (usually when groundwater levels are lowest), or not at all! Or you may get lucky and after a while the persistent draining may cease altogether (only to turn-on occassionally as needed).

But, as long as the pumps are working properly and keeping water out of your basement, everything is working as it should be!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back