Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

French Drain Flow Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

layfieldman

Civil/Environmental
Jul 15, 2003
CA
I'm looking for typical flow rates through a french drain with perforated pipe in it. Say 1' x 1' cross section. Does anyone have data or knows where I can get such data?

Also, does anyone know of any alternates to gather flow sub surface?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need the hydrualic capacity of the soil, the medium the drain is in and the slope of the pipe. Not to mention the height of the water table. Talk to the neigthbors that have drains and sump pumps.

Thanks for your response.

I am doing a comparison for drainage systems under sports fields and I want to do is a comparative analysis of different systems based on maximum drainage rates.

The flow rates I'm looking for would be for a rock filled trench wrapped in a non-woven geotextile with the dimensions from my original post. Slope would be around 1% with no water table. I need an estimate only on what the maximum flow rate that the french drain would be capable of handling.

Thanks again but I already knew of his book and might have to run out to the library to check it out. I don't really want to pay over $100 CDN for what I'm doing though. Our company is trying to decide whether to invest in a certain system and just want to compare it to what already is available.

basic hydraulics will give you the capacity of the pipe. Assume gravity / full flow for the maximum capacity. I wouldn't consider the rock filled trench to convey water, just the pipe. The trench collects the water from the surrounding soild and then just transmits it into the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back