Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

dureiken

Apr 6, 2007
FR
Hi,

I would like to know if Abaqus 6.6.3 allows us to determine the frequency of resonance of an assembly.

The system is shown on the next picture :

411f11b354883e476b65536f3c0d.jpg

The rotating tube in Aluminium goes from 0 to 6000 rpm and i would like to determine at which frequencies my system will vibrate.

The main questions are :
how to create this complex system on abaqus ( in 3D ? or by using beam model or others ? )
to calculate the frequencies, depending on silentbloc ( springs )

thanks a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dureiken,

Your system does not look very complex to me. However I am not sure how the fact that the Aluminum tube is rotating will change the natural frequency? Can you clarify this?

What do yellow blocks in your picture represent? Are they rigid parts that can be modelled just as masses? A beam will have many natural frequencies (infinite in fact). Are you interested in torsional modes or only bending modes? I think if you are not interested in the torsional modes, you may be able to model the beam with beam elements. Otherwise you may have to use 3-D elements. Same goes for the Aluminum tube.

The silent block (springs) can be modeled with spring elements. Does this make sense to you?

Gurmeet

Hi,

yellow block can be modelled by masses but I don't know how to do it ?
I'm interested in torsional modes, so I used a 3D model.

To model silentblock I created a new material with an adequat Youg modulus and I applied it on a cylinder representating the spring but I would like to know how to model spring more cleverly.

5535c704cc7cdb972d12c8030d35t2.jpg

Hi

You can use connector elements to model the springs - see section 25 in the ABAQUS users manual. I would have thought they would be an ideal, low cost option for your model.

Masses can be represented by lumped mass elements. These are defined at nodes, so you will need to define a node at the centre of gravity of each block. Look up 'point mass' in the docs.

Regards

Martin

Martin Stokes CEng MIMechE

Can't help you there, I haven't used I-DEAS in 5 years or more...

I remember that there was a document in the I-DEAS help that listed all the ABAQUS keywords/elements etc and how they mapped to I-DEAS entities. I'd have thought that would be a good place to start.

Regards

Martin

maybe I will do this part of the study on abaqus because its really important.

I will try to do what you said on abaqus ! thanks a lot

I'm not sure I understand the question. That section of the manual explains everything you need to know about modelling with connectors.

Connectors are created between two nodes and can have various properties attached to them such as elasticity (stiffness) and damping. I find them more useful than using traditional spring elements as I quite often have to add a bit of damping in dynamic analyses. Not only that, you can have max and min lengths for a connector to represent hard stops at the limits of motion.

Regards

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back