Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequency converter for Oil extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

krsh

Electrical
Nov 10, 2010
RO
Hello,
Does anyone have documentation on VFD specifically for oil extraction. I heard that the difference between classic and this drives is on parameters assignment(you have an additional option for oil extraction)and i am interested in finding out more.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi krsh,

You do not really need any specific VFD brand for use on pump-jacks, progressive cavity pumps, or electric submersible pumps, the three systems common for oil production.

That being said, many manufacturers, such as ABB, Unico, Yaskawa, Schneider, Vacon, etc..have modified their application software on the drives specifically for either pump jacks or progressive cavity pumps to provide several features specific to these applications.

Some features that are often included in these drive applications:

Pump-Off Control
Backspin Control
Inferred Production (Measurement)
Rod protection (Torque Limiting)
De-Sanding of the pump

To name a few. I have worked with almost every brand and flavour I know of for both PCPs and pump-jacks/beam-pumps. With beam-pumps/ pump-jacks, there is some braking involved meaning that often there are brake choppers and resistor packages included in the drive panel build. Depending on how well balanced the well is and how robust the DC bus of the drive is, sometimes you can avoid having a chopper and resistors. Also I have done applications using Active-Front-End drives and this is a good solution for pump-jacks, although more expensive.

In your search for information online you are going to get inundated with marketing material from the various vendors out there and probably won't find a whole lot of useful technical information. If you could tell me specifically what you are looking for I can direct you to some relevant links.

I am not looking for a specific brand, but if you have a brand that you liked please send some links/data for their products. About the marketing material i only found something i am looking for only at ABB and Allen Bradley site.

Take a look at the Stellar Tech website:
They have a lot of information there you might find useful under their downloads section.

I consider their product to be the most reliable I have come across, with its real strength lying in the ability of their vfd software and wellmax combination's ability to diagnose well issues unrelated to the vfd system.

They have developed their own application software for drives and so far after having seen more than 200 wells with their technology I have been very impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back