Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Friction Loss Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChickenSoop

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2004
CA
Anybody know of any books/software that does friction loss calculations - looking for:

- basic 'sump to pump to process' pumping system - no multiple nodes, simple piping.
- methods of calculating losses for mining slurries, paper stock, viscous liquids.

Currently I use the cameron hydraulic book, but the calculations always seem to need 'tweeking' between the paper solution and the real solution.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know how exact you need the information to be, but the book, "Flow of Fluids through valves, fittings and pipe" by Crane Limited is a great resource. (technical paper # M-409)

I think its cost is around $50 now, but it is worth every penny for me (petroleum).

Also try there is some good free software there for doing piping friction loss calculations.

As far as determinging friction loss for Slurries, you might want to contact Svedala. In the past, I used a book that they produced which highlights friction factors for slurry pumping based on slurry concentrations, particle sizes, etc.

Jonathan Ives
Project Engineer
Transalta, Alberta Thermal Plants
Duffield, Alberta

One that I am using at present is "Chemical Engineering Fluid Mechanics", Second Edition by Ron Darby.

Another one, which I have only scanned through and followed some examples is "Slurry Systems Handbook" McGraw Hill.

Depending on the case they require knowing the limits and possible range for the estimates.

Also the CIBSE guide, C series offers tables and formula for pressure drops in sraight pipe and fittings for both air and water. I beilive there would be a correction factor for other fluids.

I have also found a complete formula (no need for Darcy graph) in the book for Tour and Andersson. This is also a very good in general for boilers, piping and valves etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back