Friction stir welding sample in ANSYS help is strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.A

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2019
CH
Hello to all
I am trying to simulate FSW using ansys mechanical apdl. there is a useful sample which was provided by ANSYS. you can find it at this address: I executed the sample step by step (for stainless steel based on what mentioned in tutorial).it worked
but when I wanna use this sample for AL2024 or many different types of materials , there is no Heat generation due to friction at the second stage ( Dwell).I tetsted my log for many different mmaterials but it didnt work exception stainless steel 304L (the material mentioned at the tutorial). this result is so strange.I appended the log file for AL2024.
It would be nice of you if look at it and any comment would be appreciated.
Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Citing the ANSYS document you attached: „Welding occurs after the temperature (...) exceeds (...) approximately 70 percent of the workpiece melting temperature”. For other materials this temperature will be different and welding may not occur with specified conditions. There are also many material-dependent properties (plasticity, thermal properties, contact conductance, friction coefficient and so on) that influence the friction welding process and when they are not matched properly they can make the welding impossible to succeed.

Dear friend
first of all I am so gratitude for your prompt and valuable answer. I should add that I derived and obtained many required parameters by citing articles and surfed in the handbooks....nonetheless by citing the sample and read it carefully I realized some imported parameters hadn't Scientific justification. fore example it was assumed that maximum shear stress is 500Mpa while we know that based on vonmisses criteria maximum shear stress is yield stress/sqrt(3). it sounds tricky in simulation ,maybe I am wrong.
that is why I also attached an simplified log (but with more detail).it would be kind of you if take glance.
I tried many logs from complicated to simple cases..but I couldn't see any heat generation due to friction.
maybe it is better I change the software from ANSYS to ABAQUS. because I gave up
Regards

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=163ef779-aaac-4687-9360-414181605084&file=al+def+disp+BCS_sample+bkn_to_biso+celcius.log
Dear ANPham
thanks alot for your response. if you pay attention to my first post, I already mentioned the same link that you put in your post:
in this sample simulation was done for stainless steel 304L.
the link you mentioned above ,FSW using ANSYS workbench, doesn't show any detail of simulation process. would you mind if cite the reference including stages of process.
Regards

Hi,
I mean that, the code follow the link that used can use for other material and get good result.
In your case, you don't get temperature maybe due to something wrong in code.
Check it carefully.

Dear AnPham
I checked it many times. as long as I import mentioned material property on the sample , every thing is ok and it works but as soon as I change it with other material unfortunately... it dos not work, it would be nice of you if take a glance to the codes that I uploaded in above posts
Regards

Hi,
Check some parameters in your code.
Here is result
temperature_haxkqq.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back