Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Friction to rolling ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

roolf

Industrial
May 3, 2016
PL
Good evening,

I have some problem with using msc Adams. I am trying to add friction between sphere rolling on box, but the problem is when I add friction in contact it doesn't work us I expected. It doesn't stop the ball after initial velocity is supplied. It is just decreasing initial velocity. However when I am using friction for a joint it works way better. But the problem is I don't want to make any joints because it removes degrees of freedom of my sphere. Is it possible to left the ball with 6 degrees of freedom and add friction between sphere and box? Thank you very much in advance for help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well I am trying but I can't understand it. If friction force is the only Force applied to the body it should stop, shouldn't it? Lets say I want to measure the travelled distance of the ball which has 10m/s initial velocity and friction coefficient 0.05. I know it is task for primary school but I want it in Adams without decreasing degrees of freedom of the ball to let it rotate and translate freely on the surface. The friction of joint works properly (it stops after some time)but like I said I want the movement in any direction on the surface. I will be grateful for any help. Thank you in advance.

"If friction force is the only Force applied to the body it should stop, shouldn't it?"

Yes. But in your case, once the ball is rolling properly, ie v = r*omega, there is no frictional force. No slip, hence no friction.

Think about it some more, draw a free body diagram or two.

This is, frankly, high school mechanics.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Okay, now it is clearer for me. I've made test and cube does stop and ball like you said is just slower because of friction when there is no slip. But in real life rolling resistance stops the ball after some distance and this the clue how can I achieve it in ADAMS? I've looked for rolling resistance function in GCN but I didn't find. Can you help? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back