Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

From a solid model to PS orthographic drawing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary

Mechanical
May 16, 2003
US
I'm fairly new to AutoCAD (more experienced with Solid Edge and Inventor) and totally self-taught and there's something I've been struggling with for which I'd love some guidance.

I do most of my design work with solids and then use SOLPROF to create the visible and hidden views in a paperspace viewport. The problem is that I always make 4 copies of my solids and then orient them to create my iso and ortho views.

I've tried making 4 PS viewports but can't get them to be aligned and scaled the same.

Can someone give me an idea of how to create ortho and iso views using a single solid rather than multiple copies?

I don't think I need detailed instructions but just a general idea. I've looked through the help file some and glanced through my ACAD book but haven't found how to do it.

I'm sure I'm making it much harder than it needs to be.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Generally you do not need to make multiple copies of your model.
I do not use solprof .. find it too limiting.
Make one model. Put parts of the model on different layers if you will dimension them in details.
Create a dimension layer to be used in each viewport.
Create your viewports is paper (layout) space. Create multiple layout tabs if needed.
Go into ms in each viewport. Zoom to required scale using z 1/10xp or similar. Back in paper space lock each viewport. Can also do these tasks using properties dialog.
In ps move the viewports to line up using midpoint etc of ms objects as a reference (snap will see the other space).
Back in each viewport, viewport-freeze all dimension layers except the one you will use in that viewport.
Hope this helps.

Although RiBeneke's replay will work, it is just complicating things for you IMO. Since you are familiar with solprof...why not use SOLVIEW. It automatically creates orthographic views for you, aligned and properly scaled. Once you have all of the views you want created, you can use SOLDRAW to calculate hidden lines and convert the views to 2d representations. SOLDRAW automatically calculates hidden lines and places each view's entities on pre-defined layers. If require more assistance with this command check out this link

or check out the limited information in the help files.

I use solprof and really have no problems with it. Its quite simple and quick. Here is a quick and dirty way to quickly get your desired result.

In paperspace create your viewports using mvsetup,
type mvsetup, create, create, 2 (for standard enginerring), window the area you want the viewports, enter, enter.

Now you should have four view ports, with your model showing threw them. Double click somewhere inside each viewport to get to model space for that viewport, using the view toolbar, pick the view you want you model at, doing the same for each viewport.

Once you have your views, I am assuming front, top, right, and iso, double click somewhere outside of the viewports to return to paperspace. Type mvsetup again, s (for scale), cross window and select all the viewports, enter for done selecting, enter for uniform, enter for 1.0 on paper units, and enter for 1.0 on model units, then escape and done.

Now you have four viewports, ready for solprof, with the layout you want, all at the same scale. If the model doesnt fit, then stretch the viewports out. You can move the view port like the iso to your liking, by using the move command like normal. Becareful not to be inside the viewport and zooming, that is the only pain. For production drawings that see life every so often it works pretty good. Hope this helps.

Gotta say I'm with Mike on this one, it doesn't get much easier that solview/draw for ACAD IMO.

Although Alex's way works lovely, you still have to mess about creating, aligning and scaling your VP's whereas soldraw is just bish-bash-bosh, 3 ortho views, justlikethat, haha. Plus with the ability to do sections and Aux views it's the next best thing to MDT.

Tommy "The Cadman" Cooper

OK, it does seem like SOLVIEW / SOLDRAW is the way to go. I'm finding it hard to make SOLVIEW do what I want it to, though.

The book I have (ACAD 2k2 Bible by Finkelstein) does not address it more than does the command-line prompts.

I'm looking at the help and it's not immediately clear. I'm going to have to wrestle with this a bit.

Can anybody talk me through the process of creating the SOLVIEW viewports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back