Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

From Airline Structure Eng. to Stress Eng.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tayyareci1

Jul 10, 2009
TR
Hi all,

I've been working for an MRO as a structural repair engineer. Our department evaluate the structural damage and report them to manufacturers. Indeed, It doesn't require a lot of skills or engineering, therefore I decided to move on stress engineering. Although I've FEM background, don't have real expeirence on this field. To be a good stress engineer, take years and I'm 33!

I need your advice for this decision. Should I stay in my current job or go to new worlds?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Tayyareci1,

You're only 33. Lucky guy. As I see it, if you plan to retire at 65, that's 32 more years of work. If you can continue to earn a living while picking up new skills (either at work or through courses), why not?

tg

I made the jump (at an older age) and beware the grass is not always greener. I thoroughly enjoy doing the analysis and I have learned a lot, especially about Fatigue and DT, however, an analyst sits behind a computer in a cubicle all day, the whole job is done in a cubicle. I miss going down on the floor, discussing issues with the mechanics, the arguements with maintenance management and inspection, being a hero every now and again, and when things were slow getting caught up on all my paperwork then going out and shooting the bull with the mechanics. On the other hand, now I come it at 7am and I leave at 4pm, I don't get called at home, and no road trips. Just some things to consider.

There is life after aero. After the PE, I was comfortable working in a variety of areas incl CE. That's the benefit of an ME or EE degree. They can be applied everywhere. An AeroE with an MME is a nice combo that can be applied everywhere.

Having an analytical bent, which is typical of PE's, I make calcs to back up most opinions and hunches. I gained the reputation of 'being able to handle anything.' Case study:

An MME using FEA was struggling with a plastic rotated 'Z' structure that was failing in tension. [Cylinder - disc - larger cylinder.] I suggested 8 min gussetts, and the problem went away. We were later imitated by competitors.

By the way; this is a common experience for many young engrs who experience the wonderful ups and downs of aero. Be prepared to answer objections by potential employers who think everything is specialty in aero. Explain that you have applied many technical disciplines to your area of specialization.

I made the move from an airline MRB engineer to OEM Stress analyst 5 years ago. I have been a contracte engineer for the past 2.5 years. I do miss working on real planes a little; but overall I would never go back. I repeat NEVER. As a stress analyst the pay and respect is far better. I was a bit nervous at first, but what I found is that many folks who have worked stress since college are plug-and-chug engineers. I hadn't worked stress before, but I found that with an MRB background I was more of a problem solver than many. That combinded with hard work and I ramped up to a principal engineer in less than two years after my switch. Now I am a contractor and I made about 4x what I made as an airline MRB engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back