Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Front porch posts, structural or decorative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diyfarmer

Mechanical
Nov 26, 2007
CA
The front wall of our late 70’s bungalow is partially set in to create a narrow porch. The roof is standard trusses all the way across so there is a beam and posts under the truss ends where the wall is not there to support them. The bottoms of the posts are nailed to the concrete walkway with a pair of concrete nails (rusted off) and the bottoms are rotten enough that the posts are just floating now.

I'm pretty sure these posts should be structural, but everything about their construction says decorative:

1. They were obviously installed after the flashing was put on the beam.
2. Their only support is the walkway; there is no foundation underneath to get below frost (I chipped a hole through to check, we are replacing the walkway)
3. Looking at lintel tables in the building code, the double 2x10 beam is much too light for the 13'4" span between the centre two posts. We are located a couple hours west of Toronto, so lots of snow.

I will have a structural engineer involved to come up with the best repair method, but was construction really this shoddy back then? Was there no inspections at all?

EDIT: See below for the pictures, thanks IRstuff for pointing that out!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=1de02624-4b8c-47b6-9929-eea6d4cb76c2&file=front_walkway.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

3. Looking at lintel tables in the building code, the double 2x10 beam is much too light for the 13'4" span between the centre two posts. We are located a couple hours west of Toronto, so lots of snow.

Yeah I ran a quick and dirty calc for the 2x10 and I didn't get a whole lot of capacity either. (And even that is assuming it's toe nailed to that rafter tie and (ergo) braced.)

EDIT: By the way, that sure is some good quality wood in that attic. You can tell that was done a good while ago.

But, your "post connection" photo isn't of the original "design" though, is it? Your wide angle shot shows that there are only two original as-built posts, the other two are "repairs" that don't appear to match the construction of the originals.

The original posts' intent seems to be trying to mimic a 4x6 or 6x6

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

By the way, you can insert photos directly in the forum, which will save people from having to go through some hoops to see them
post_connection_rv50pq.jpg

front_walkway_i8vtxq.jpg

house_front_kzg100.jpg

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks for the image tip, I should have looked harder for that button!

All posts are original, I just removed the aluminum off two of them to see what was underneath.

attic_cvzb6k.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back