Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Frost line consideration for walkout basement

Buleeek

Structural
Sep 5, 2017
PL
Hello,
What is your opinion regarding the bottom of new foundation for the basement walkout stair? Creating a walkout for the basement will affect the frost line. Should I start counting the required 36" from the bottom of the stairs? In addition, the existing house foundation should not be undermined. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you use extruded polystyrene rigid insulation?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Did this exact setup at my old house 10 years ago, which my brother still lives in. Zero issues so far! Frost line should be measured from whatever the outmost protective surface is, which will obviously change throughout the structure. What we did was as follows:

A) heat-trace the drain at the base landing slab. Where this comes into the home may dictate your other elevations. You may also have a weeper along the top of the footing, which you'll need to modify.
B) place 4" of XPS underneath the base landing slab extending 4' (horizontally) underneath the new walk-out stairs
c) place 4" of XPS underneath and upside the back of the retaining wall 4' since frost acts in all directions. You have options for placement depending on how much you plan to over-excavate

Naturally that was based on the local frost depth of around 4' from ground cover. If you have a 36" typical frost depth then you can use 3" of XPS.

Capture_wug0kh.png

Back