Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FRP tank Inspection 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSood

Mechanical
Dec 23, 2014
SG
Hi Everyone

I would like to pursue my inquiry regarding the inspection of our double walled fiberglass underground storage tank system. We want to perform the integrity check for the tank and want to estimate how much longer we can safely use our tanks with little risk of a leak (what is the likely remaining life expectancy of the tank system?).

Can anyone please give the suggestion for an appropriate inspection protocol to use for checking the Tank.
Also please refer the codes and standards need to be followed for the same.

Thanks and Regards
Sood

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

See the guidance provided here
In short, you need to look at the original design and to see whether the actual operating conditions and most importantly fluid, has changed over time. Any incidents of over pressure or external damage will form part of your assessment.

Also see this P 23 deals with tanks and also refers to ISO 14692 pt 4 which is for GRP piping, but many of the same issues apply.

AFAIK, there are few, if any, NDT inspections which can be done other than visual and examination of records. A conversation with the original vendor, if still around, might point out issues that have occurred with other tanks of a similar design and use.

Clearly visual inspection is something you can do and also noting any visible weeping or de-lamination.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Bimr

They look the real deal. They also have an inspection paper.

Still don't think they have much other than good visual inspection and performance testing like the annular test though.

I think that's what the OP is looking for.... , but meant visual inspection of the surfaces exposed to the product or ones you could see - we have no idea of size of the tanks being referred to.

what I meant was that I haven't seen or heard of any inspection "tool" unlike various UT probes you get for steel that can give you any idea of future life.

The only thing I've come across requires a sample of the material (it was pipe I had) then mechanically test it to destruction and compare to the original material. Clearly with a tank that would then require a patch - not so good.

In theory FRP / GRP should last indefinitely if product is as designed and no damage has occurred.

I thought the whole point of a double walled tank was to have leak sensors between the two walls. Then the tank can be used safely until a leak is detected.

My company actually used a vendor that specializes in fiberglass to conduct ultrasonic readings on a fiberglass pressure vessel a few weeks back to document/determine the remaining design strength of the resin from holding corrosive chemicals. Granted NDE methods for fiberglass doesn't seem as refined as for steel, but the vendor has documentation on comparing his ultrasonic readings to mechanically tested results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back