Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Frustrated Structural Engineer Needing Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmv08

Civil/Environmental
Jul 21, 2014
QA
It’s been over two years now since I started working and up to now, I can say that I am still inexperienced because I’ve been into jobs of entirely different fields. Ever since I was in college, I always wanted to become a Structural Engineer but due to some unexpected events and circumstances (long story), I was forced to take jobs that had higher pay compared to that of a new structural engineer even though I know that my heart is into structural engineering. I never wanted to do this but I had to.

Even though I’m not working as a structural engineer, I keep on reviewing my structural engineering subjects, but my heart yearns for more than solving sample problems in books, I want to know what a real structural engineer does. I know that the solution to my problem is simple, which is to work as a structural engineer. If only for myself, salary isn’t a big issue to me, what matters to me most is the sense of fulfillment that I’d be getting when I’ll finally get the chance to work as a Structural Engineer. But again, as much as I would like to, my situation prohibits me.

I’m sorry, I know that my post is annoying, but maybe I just want to vent out my frustrations. And also, I’m hoping if you guys could help me have a glimpse of the real structural engineering world. Perhaps I could ask for some previous design tasks you’ve worked on in your jobs so I’ll have something to work on besides my textbooks sample problems. I know I’m such a shameful man for doing something close to begging but I’m just tired of my situation and I want to get out of it. Thank you and sorry for wasting your time reading my frustrations and I welcome the violent reaction this deserves.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks everyone for the insights, it made me realize some things and somehow I feel much better now. Looks like I can't do much about my situation right now so I'll just try to make the most out of it. I'm currently working for a Piping Contractor and I never liked the job since day one but I when I think of it, I haven't really given the job a chance since I wanted to work for a structural engineering firm badly. I'm unaware of it but I was tormented by the thought of being stuck in this place when I badly wanted to be in another. Again, thanks guys for your time and insights, it gave me a new perspective. I wish you guys all the best!

jmv08, I'm sorry about your dad. I lost mine to cancer as well and it really, truly sucks. I can tell you feel completely stuck but if you can see that you're where you are for a specific purpose, then maybe it won't feel so terrible.

I agree completely about volunteering with Habitat. I do residential investigation work and learned SO MUCH from them.

I's sorry to hear that SLTA. Yeah, I keep on thinking that everything is happening for a reason and hope that it's for a good one. But sometimes it's hard to not get depressed especially when you yearn for something very badly and you've been waiting for it for what seems like forever. What's worse is sometimes you fear that you might not even get it at all. But I guess this is just how life is.

Thanks for the suggestion STLA.

I was interested in Structural Engineering and originally started out as a mechanical engineer. In my spare time I started studying whatever structural book I could pick up. I'm particularly interested in residential structural engineering and working with wood. I wasn't even sure where to start. I visited a number of structural firms and they all pretty much laughed at me since my experience was mostly mechanical and crossing over into the structural field seemed silly to most of them.

Get some good books on the subjects that interest you. Some basics I suggest are:

AWC NDS 2012 (package)
ASCE 7-10
IBC 2012
Design of Wood Structures by Donald Breyer

then there is concrete, masonry, steel, cold formed steel etc... really depends on your interests.

If you are interested in creating your own firm some day then I would highly suggest working on your own set of calculators for common problems. Most engineers use Excel spreadsheets but I prefer to code stuff in Perl and Html with PDF outputs.

If you really want to dig a bit deeper, past the code books and all of the checklist stuff (accounting) then get a copy of Hibbeler's text on Structural Analysis.

The last few chapters of that text that deal specifically with matrix analysis are fascinating to me and was the means by which I wrote a concise matrix analysis program that I use for analyzing trusses.

Last summer I spent every spare moment dissecting the ANSI TPI 1-2007 and its commentary in my attempts to understand the engineering behind MPC wood trusses.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even if you are not working directly in the field or within some large structural firm there is quite a lot you can do to expose yourself to the structural field.

My most recent project (in my spare time) has been a simple beam calculator, sure its not that great, but going through the process of creating it and looking at all the different options, configurations and "what ifs" I've managed to more fully grasp what it means to engineer a beam: Beam Calculator

Medeek, so you actually got to work for a structural engineering firm? Thanks for the idea! I'll definitely try to make my own calculators as you did, perhaps in excel first. I'm through with solving exercise problems from text book.

If you can't figure out how to build, then how can you design it?

Every engineer should have to be intimately involved in the construction of what he/she has designed if only to understand how the design assumptions (connections, boundary conditions, etc.) relate to the actual construction. It also helps provide insight as to how the design assumptions can be enforced by how things are assembled.

If you have the basics under your belt, design something. Then detail it. Then build it. You will quickly discover that what you think will work may prove to be impossible or extremely difficult to construct. But, in my NTBH opinion, the best engineers have had hands-on experience and a very close connection to those who build their designs.

If this "floats your boat", then dive in. Structural engineers may not have the highest income, but we often have the most fun, and get the greatest reward from, solving problems. Once, of course, we get past the other 75-90% of our careers answering emails, preparing proposals, arguing with contractors & architects, sending out invoices, chasing payments, etc.

An editorial aside: As far as architects go, a license to practice architecture must have as a prerequisite a requirement that includes laying out a building using ONLY the paper drawings that one has created for their design. No computer, no CAD, only the drawing on paper and a tape measure. Every missing dimension, angle, or necessary revision, etc. is a point off the final score.

Ralph
Structures Consulting
Northeast USA

Your story is not unlike mine. I just got my SE license this year, after struggling to find a place where I could get the appropriate experience and training to get that license. I had to jump jobs several times to find this experience. I took several jobs that made me feel underemployed (one as a draftsperson) just because they paid well and I had a young family to provide for.

When jumping around to get this experience I unintentionally burned a few bridges, and put my wife through some stressful times. In retrospect I could have learned to enjoy other careers just as much, and probably could have made just as much if not more money. I wouldn't say getting my SE was bad for me, but it certainly had a price. I'm glad it's all done with now, but I'd caution that if you do decide to focus in on the structural route that you remember that more important than your career is your family. It may take some sacrifice from them, and you should be considerate of that as you do it. I love structural engineering, but I think for a few years there I let my selfish drive to become an SE become the center of my life. I've seen a lot of other structural engineers do the same thing. Structural engineering often demands more than any other discipline in that regard. I'd put extra effort into my family relationships if I could do it over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back