Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fuel ethanol plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

reza1971

Bioengineer
Feb 21, 2011
IR
Hi. is it possible to do some modifications with the equipments of an animal feed production plant in order to change it into a fuel ethanol plant.
regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

depends on what kind of equipment is available, but in general you'd need a LOT of capital because although you probably have the grain handling available... a lot of other things you'll need aren't there so you'd probably be better off just starting from scratch.

more details are needed though

If you are serious and have roughly $100MM. Contact CMI they build a lot of the ethanol plants in the US.

Regards
StoneCold

Stone cold,

You're having a slight case of dyslexia, It is ICM inc. that built ~80% of american dry mill corn to ethanol plants. Most of those are at LEAST 40,000,000 gallons per year. If you're thinking of just making <1,000,000 gallons per year then it could be feasible... depending.

jesspo
Yea I new it sounded wrong when I threw it out there. But if his project has any hope at all I think they could make it work.

This seems a bit backwards to me. While feedstock (ddgs) is a coproduct of a corn ethanol plant, it is downstream of the mash prep phase, the carbs get sent off to brew and all the other bits and solids go to the dryer for feed. You are missing a big chunk of the plant, and your feedstock will change composition dramatically.

Actually Kiwi, ALL of the mash gets sent to fermentation usually, then the ethanol is distilled out of a ~30% solids slurry and the bottoms get sent to the dryer. but you are correct he'd be missing a HUGE amount of machinery, and not that his feed composition would have to change, he could mix it with other things to make it relativly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back