Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuel tank baffles

Status
Not open for further replies.

67RS

Automotive
Nov 9, 2003
CA
Hi all I'm new to this forum and I must say there are some very helpful and knowledgable members here. I'm wanting to build my own stainless steel gas tank and have the overall demensions figured out. I realize that when I have an in tank pump I need a baffle system around the pump for various reasons.

What I'm wanting to know is there anywhere I can go or do any of you have any information in the most effective type of baffle system for gas tanks.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ATL sells a nice "surge tank" as they call it for guys doing there own thing.

I believe you can get them with or without an internal fuel pump.

1. Type of vehicle, Camaro's first and Second Gen's

2. Street or Racing, Both

3. FI or Carburated, Both but more than likely FI and yes it will need a return.

I have some baffle articles and designs, I'm just curious if there are any better types or not.

Thanks!

Have you thought about adapting a production fuel delivery module (FDM) to suit your tank? There are numerous examples. Any production Ford or GM will have one, then it's a matter of choosing the one that's got the pump to suit your engine.

If you're just using the vehicle on the street without any high conering forces and if you're not too bothered about unusable fuel in the bottom of the tank, then a simple labyrinth welded in to the tank bottom around the pump pick-up will do for both an in-tank pump and a chassis-mounted pump. If you want - email me and I'll send a sketch.

FDMs have the advantage that they'll always have a head of fuel for the pump inlet and its usually vapour-free. In-tank pumps generally have this advantage over chassis-mounted types, which nearly always suffer from vapour handling problems at some time.

ATL as well as Fuel Safe sell the fuel cell foam seperately and we have used it (illegally, I might add) in SCCA showroom stock class cars, years past. Works well at eliminating 'slosh' and the need for any baffels at all. Foam life is good for several years, worst case.

Rod

on my street car ('91 nissan sentra), i added a stainless steel sump to the original fuel tank. i used a hole saw to drill holes in the bottom of the tank. then i tig'd the sump to the tank so that it surrounded the holes. my reasoning for the holes, is that they act as a baffle of sorts. there is a -10 fitting that gravity feeds an Aeromotive A1000. the return is the stock/OEM feed line, which dumps back into the top of the tank.

reason why i used the stock tank:
-sleeper aspect
-costs less than using a fuel cell
-stock tank is situated lower than a fuel cell would be

here's how banks power designed their fuel storage system on their Project Camaro

here's the link to the website about their Project Camaro....the fabrication is awesome :)

javier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back