Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuel Temperature Compensation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methusalah

Automotive
Jul 5, 2006
GB
Hi All,

Can anyone guide me with the theory of the effects of fuel line temperature relative to fuel delivery of a/f?

Basically does the a/f richen or weaken as the fuel tempature increases?

Hope you can help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the pressure remains the same, and the delivery system meters volume, then the hot fuel will have a lower SG due to expansion, so it will lean the engine if the air density has not also changed.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

It is my understanding that the "air/fuel ratio" is actually an "air/fuel VAPOR ratio". Therefore if the fuel is admitted into the air charge closer to phase change temps, then the "effect" would be an enrichment condition. Of course it would depend on how efficient your combustion chamber design is. An efficient combustion chamber will perform better at vaporizing the atomized fuel on the intake and compression strokes and therefore would have less of an enrichment effect than a poor chamber design.

Mike

Bunkum

Air to fuel ratio is the ratio of the mass of air to the mass of fuel.

For a chemical reaction to be in balance, the mass of each reagent must be correct.

Regards

Umm, I think pounds is just one unit for measuring mass.

Regards

I think it depends:

If it is a carburetter engine, it is a must that the air and the fuel are hot enough. Otherwise the fuel will form droplets again. In cold area's, it can be good to preheat the fuel.

If it is an injector engine. The temperature of the fuel is important for the atomizing. If the viscosity of the fuel is to high, the fuel pump will have troubles with it, and after the injection, the average size of the droplets will increase. This will cause a greater delay on the ignition, resulting in loss of power, loss of efficiency and higher exhaust gas temperatures. In worst cases, it will cause a diesel knock that, if ignored for long time, can damage the crankpin bearings.

At sea, they use the lowest quality fuel, and we preheat it to over 130 °C before it reaches the fuel pumps.

"At sea, they use the lowest quality fuel, and we preheat it to over 130 °C before it reaches the fuel pumps."

Yes, but I assume from the "At sea..." bit that these will be heavy-oil engines where the fuel in question is more like light tar than automotive diesel.

Musn't confuse the functional niceties of gasoline, diesel and marine heavy oil types.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back