Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Full Depth Precast Bridge Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoDucks

Structural
Nov 1, 2005
US
I am currently designing a steel structure with a full dpeth precast deck. It will be the first one in our area.

Does anyone know of a state that has standard drawigns for such an item? If so, could you please post a link.

Also, any good articles that I about the topic?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Texas DOT and NYSDOT have details for precast panels but the deck system requires a concrete overlay.

In the late 90's, The Fort Miller Company in Schuylerville NY (518-695-5000)fabricated full-depth, precast, post-tensioned panels for a NYSDOT project. They might be able to help you.

We just designed steel bridge with precast deck. There're no standards, since the decks are rarely used. The code requires to post-tension the panels longitudinally and I would advise not to bother with transverse pre-tensioning. We used shear studs blockouts spaced 2 feet along the girdres, grouted transverse and longtitudinal joints between the panels.
The only recently published arcticle is by Dr. Tadros in September/October 2004 PCI Journal. There're many issues and restraints for this type of construction, you will have to research. Contact me at yakov@yakpol.net for more information.

Have you carried out a cost review it may be quicker but is it better o5r cost effective.With the joints that you will have the life span of these structures is lower than conventional cast in place.For what you will pay is it worth it.

Actually, lifespan of precast decks is higher than of CIP. CIP decks are notorious of transverse cracking due to concrete shrinkage. Crack-free post-tensioned concrete, reduced shrinkage, plus overlay provide better product that cost 50% more than CIP deck. In our case we provided alternative bids for CIP and precast deck, so the client will be able to choose between money and durability. Majority of precast decks in the US have been built as deck replacements rather than on new bridges.
Precast deck may become more economical for tall bridges over the water, when access from underneath is limited, and panels placed consequently starting from abutments into the span. Also on-site construction time for precast is shorter.
Compare costs:
CIP deck $500 to $700 per cubic yard
Precast deck $25 to $30 per square foot (9" thick yields to $900 to $1080 per cubuc yard) + installation (high strength grout, post-tensioning...)

But if the client wants it we deliver!

Looks like yakpool is the guru on this one. Have you had any experience with transverse post-tensioning of cast in place decks? or CIP slab bridges (in addition to the main longitudinal prestressing)? I know someones done it, but in my short career I've never seen it. When would it be appropriate?
[xmastree][xmastree][xmastree][xmastree][xmastree][xmastree]

sqrt,
I will be guru on precast decks when we'll build one, so far it's just words. I did design transverse post-tensioning decks of box-girder. The overhang was about 15 feet, so no way to have just reinforced. When you need to minimize bottom slab of box-girder (horizontal clearances of substructure and weight efficiency) the overhangs and angle of inclined webs grow up. Also, reducing number of cells in the box the distance between the webs becomes large and requires post-tensioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back