Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FULL ENCIRCLEMENT SLEEVE REPAIR 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

apipipeline

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
TT
Hello,

I am trying to find examples where a full encirclement sleeve was used for pipeline in service repair. Instead of welding the ends to the pipe (fillet weld) though, epoxy grout is pumped inside the annulus between the sleeve and the pipe to provide the seal. Perhaps one of you out there have used this repair option before and can direct me to the relavant standard.

Ricardo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a company that specializes in full sleeve repair called "clock spring". They probably have references, and specifications. Here is their web-site address
There are a lot of case histories and such, if you use google, and search for "clock spring pipeline repair"

Hope that is what you are looking for.

Toni

Hi toni,

Unfortunately, this is not what I am talking about. The full encieclement method of repair is where a sleeve, not unlike 2 halves of pipe are joined over the pipe to be repaired by 2 longitudinal welds along the seams of the halves, then a fillet weld on either end seals the sleeve around the pipe. What I wish to get is information on instances where there was no fillet weld, rather, the annulus between the sleeve and the pipe is filled with epoxy grout or similar material.
R

Have used numerous methods of pipe sealing methods however have had the most success using the Colt or Furmenite clamping systems for dealing with leaks on live lines from 2" to 36". Both companies operate worldwide but if you need further info please contact.
Best regards,
BarrieC

Ricardo,
Re. the above would advise that Colt's website address is They are located in Atlanta, Georgia, USA and the direct e-mail contact address is tbarford@coltonline.com Have known these people for many years and would recommend their service,their speciality is leak sealing.
Furmanite is also an establised company in this type of activity and have worldwide coverage. Their website is or for worldwide contact. They are much larger operator but offer not only sealing,but a full range of other services.
Hope this info is of some use to you.
Best regards,
BarrieC

Lots of pipeline companies performed sleeve repairs.

Contact Mexssub [bbyars@mexssub.com] for welded sleeves.

Plidco, Oil states [jerry.woods@oilstates.com], Stats [pduguid@stats-abz.co.uk] all provide clamped sleeves with or without epoxy grout depending on the repair requirements.

Rgds Naren

Narendranath R
Pipeline engineering is made easy with state of the art computer software, visit

I work as the engineer for a company called SEAL-EX who does On-Stream Leak Sealing, we are based out of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

This kind of repair is very common to us and we have a very high success rate. We custom fabricate a split enclosure, which is bolted onto the pipeline and then we inject a sealant which is either a fiber and resin or a silicone/polymer. We achieve our seal with these products and there is no need for welding the enclosure directly to the pipeline, although that option is still available as a back up plan.

The standard that we use are ASME Section VIII Div. 1 and Div. 2 as well as B31.1. We have recently started to use Finite Element Analysis, to ensure the safety of our work. Our first priority is to ensure the safety of our technicians who are doing the onsite repair, and the safety of the plant personnel. We are not allowed to install any fittings, which have not been approved by the local Boilers Safety Assoc.

If you would like any additional information just ask.

Morls,

I tried to find your company on the net, but was unable to. Can you prvide me with an e-mail address so we can discuss my project.

Ricardo.

Several companies make split sleeve repair clamps that will do the job. The first that comes to mind is PLIDCO (Pipeline Development Co., I think). They have a web site.
Put split sleeve repair clamps in your browser--you'll get more than several examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back