Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fully constrained mating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Candas

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2003
TR
I would like to know how can I achieve a fully constrained mating for a "read-only" axisymmetric part if it does not contain planar referance(datum etc.) inside. In other words, I would like to know how can I lock its rotation(s).

Thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Candas,

Perhaps you can swap the ref set for 'entire part' and utilize existing dp's/da's to constrain the part. Then, swap the ref set back to what it was and save the assy. Of course, this will only work if there are the appropriate existing datums in the read only part... which is yet another reason why I always utilize a datum CSYS in the piece parts, but this is diff thread...

Regards,
SS
CAD should pay for itself, shouldn't it?

Shadowspawn,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately read only parts that I'm dealing with usually don't contain any datums.

Regards,

Candas

You can probably set a distance constraint between one of the Quadrant Points on the read only part and a Datum Plane in your assembly.

Michael

Michael,

Thank you very very much. Your method solves my problem perfectly. By using point filter(choosing quadrants, center etc.), I can manage to fix its rotation and make it fully constrained for many different mating types(mate, distance etc.)

Regards,

Candas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back