FULLY WELDED BEAM TO COLUMN

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnePowers

Civil/Environmental
May 22, 2021
CO
Salutes to everyone!!

I am looking for bibliography which helps me to design the conection i show in the picture below.

If someone can help me i would appreciate it a lot.

Thanks.

c1_jvqqlv.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure why you would want to... need temporary bolts, else crane time will'kill' ya. Could be issues of warping the column, and you likely need stiffener plates in the web of the column... best to use a bolted end plate connection, or shop weld the beam 'stub' and bolt.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

You can use AISC Design Examples Handbook specifically Example II.B.-3.

dik: Full weld is common for smaller structures. Think racks & supports for piping, equipment, etc or other items that can be shop welded and shipped in one piece or pieces (modular).

Thanks for your answers, i really appreciate them a lot

Yes, GC_Hopi is a structure to support 2 tanks 2000l and i dont want to difficult the construction.

Example II.B-3 helped me a lot, however i keep looking for a example connection made in web column.

If anyone knows, i would appreciatte it!!

Thanks!!

I would't expect that type of member for a smaller structure, but I don't have a problem with it...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Connection looks pretty robust for a small structure. I would have thought some clip angles and a couple of bolts would suffice. The problem with welds is that you have to have temporary bolting to hold the connecion in place while you weld, or you have to have a very steady crane/hoist operator to hold the member in place.

-Dik

You can use flange plates if you are going to the column web, check the AISC design examples I believe there is one. However if you are doing a tank support you might consider HSS and bracing like so.
CT300_qlvzkk.png

Hello enginners!!

Dik yes!! I going to use very small W members. I think it's also acceptable.

As for HOPI message, it's i dont have any documentation to design tube conections but documentation to design w members conection, i do!! If you have docuemntation to design HSS conections, i would apprecciate it.

Thanks!!

Hello partners GC_Hopi & Dik!!

Thanks for your replies.

I have made a progress in my structure. I decided make it using rectangular tubes. I studied AISC Specification Chapter K: rectangular tubes conections. I would want to show you my calculus but i would like do it in a private way. I can't wait your comments.

I have another question: How are the braces conected to the tubes? bolted? Welded? Using plates?

Thanks!!

Since you are using tubes for the 'frame', I would weld round BAR stock for the braces... depending on the loads, they could be 1/4" or larger. Because the loads are small, it's easy to develop enough weld to resist the forces, also welding of the face of the tube is not likely critical. Be careful of interference where the X-bracing crosses the opposite bracing.

-Dik

Dik, I see all around perimeter shop welds a fair amount in industrial settings. Pipe and equipment supports tend to see a lot of shop fabricated and shipped items and scenarios where you might have cantilevers or stupid and unbalanced geometry.

Hell, a lot of typical field pipe supports are things like channels or 4" wide flanges field welded all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back