Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Function Block Diagram Programming 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanderscj

Electrical
Nov 30, 2000
US
Could anyone tell me which plc software packages include function block diagram programming and the company that is manufacturing the software and plc.

The problem is that at my company there are 3 programmers, 2 of which favor ladder logic and 1 who favors fbf. Ideally, I am looking for a plc that can be programmed in ladder logic or fbd. Would also like to hear opinions from everyone about which type of programming tool they favor & why.

If anyone knows of a good resource for learning fbd, that would be appreciated as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello;
The Allen-Bradley ControlLogix 5000 allows programming in ladder logic or function block.

The Modicon (AEG, Group Schiender) series using their Concept programming package allows ladder logic, function block and statement text programming.

The old Siemens S5 series could display the same PLC program in ladder logic, function block or staement text.

Quite a few PLC manufacturers are going the same way due to the new IEC standards which require all three methods.

Hello Sanderscj;
All Siemens S7-300 and 400 PLCs can be programmed either in Ladder or FBD, and you can easily look at the logic in either form as required. Step7-Basis is the programming software's name. The S7-200 can also do the same as per the most recent release of Step7-Microwin, v. 3.1.
Hope this helps,
dchartier

Don't forget about Reliance AutoMax! Oh wait, that's been discontinued. They did have the first PLC with FB that I ever saw, dating back into the 80's.

Keep in mind that even if all your selections are IEC 61131-3 compliant, they won't necessarily program the same. Implementations can vary greatly.

Also, good programming practices will lead you to use multiple languages for different functions. Using all FB or all ladder will likely produce some cumbersome code somewhere. The best solutions are usually a combination. Use each language for what it does best. I'd recommend keeping Structured Text on your list of requirements. It is excellent for dealing with arrays of data and anything you'd image would be easy in BASIC (it's actually quite PASCAL like). Communication tasks tend to be well suited for this.

Finally, keep SFC in mind. I've found Sequential Function Charts to be the perfect fit for highly sequential processes. The PLC screams because it is only solving the code corresponding to the part of the process that's active, and on-line debugging was never easier (brings you to the exact code that's hung-up), at least in the implementation I was using. Learning the ins and outs of the particular implementation can be a bit challenging, but it can pay off, especially on large projects.

Good luck,
-Brad

Siemens MicroWin will work with FBD, Ladder and STL so you have several choices available, personally i favour ladder

You can download a 60 day trial of the software from the siemens website

Good Luck ;)

The Modicon using Concept software does have all three, and is reasonably easy to learn and use. You can write your own re-usable function blocks quite simply which I would consider a must for Function block programming. If cost were not a consideration, this would be my number one choice, however it is quite expensive.

The Siemens Step 7 does support all three, but is not as intuitive as Concept. A block of code can be viewed in any format. The structure is very regimented, where as concept is just drag and drop. I find it quite cumbersome.

The Allen Bradley RSLogix 5000 standrd only supports ladder. FBD can be purchased as an option. You can not program your own function blocks, making this not an option for FBD.

my experience say the recent PLC support FBF but for small thing, a will suggest you to use SAIA products.

Of course i work on SIEMENS, OMRON, A+B, Scheneider and SAIA.

If you plan to select a PLC maker for your business first study your market!
If you plan to select a plataform of working "ladder" or "FBF" define what kind of technical stuff you will have. Eng will prefered FBF and electrical Ladder....

I on some projects design every thing on ladder, other all on FBF, but usually i use both.

Best regards
Paulo Afonso

Hi folks,
I was wondering what are the max restrictions on an RS-485 field bus being driven by an RS-232 C serial port through an adapter module?
Thanks again,
THE KAT
TTFN

Check out PLC OPEN organization for vendors. While it is true that most PLC vendors who support IEC 61131 will support function block diagram programming - it is not necessary to say that all support it. Be careful in your selection process - make sure they are approved by PCL OPEN and then check to make sure their software tool comes standard with all programming languages including FBD - many vendors have this as an add-on. Check out WAGO for fully compliant all inclusive IEC 61131 programming tool -

Triconex provides 1131 compliant programming software with ladder logic, function blocks, cause and effect matrix, and structured text. There currently two Triconex platforms (Tricon and Trident) that use the same utility software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back