Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

function of a choke 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaink

Electrical
Oct 26, 2004
US
Could someone explain what a choke does? I read from one site that it converts AC to DC and another that it filters AC frequency. I thought AC to DC was done through a rectifier. I'm a bit confused.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

'Choke' used to be a pseudonym for an inductor. While an inductor does not convert AC to DC, it does provide a higher impedance to AC, and the impedance increases with the frequency, so it is commonly used as part of a filter.

A choke provides inductance (L) or inductive impedance. It may also be called an inductor or a reactor. Since the impedance in ohms is 2*Pi*f*L, the impedance increases with frequency. Than makes is useful for filtering. The term "choke" seems to be more often applied to the device when it is used after a rectifier to reduce the AC ripple in the rectified DC output and also to reduce harmonic currents on the AC side.

When it is used in AC circuits, it seems to be more often called a reactor. Reactors are used on the AC side of rectifiers to reduce the harmonic current content. They are also used to reduce the available fault current.

That makes more sense. So it's just a matter of naming the filtering device before or after the AC-DC conversion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back