Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Function of "Publication" both in Part and Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenson

Computer
Apr 17, 2003
KR
Dear folks,

I read the manual of V5R10 and now I know what "Publication" is but I still do not know how to use it. The manual says, "This task(Publication) shows you the method for making elements publicly available. Let's say I published one plane and I got one published plane. What is this for? I already have the plane in the tree and I can use it. What's the difference between them(in the tree and in the publication).

Thanks in advance. You guys all have a great day!

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi,

The publication is here to "help" you manage the links :

In a CATPart A, you publish a plane.1 as "RefPlane"

In a CATProduct you put your CATPart A and a new CATPart B

You create in CATPart B an offset plane from "RefPlane" (from catpart A)... you then have a link to CATPart A (in fact to a publish element "RefPlane", check parent/children)

Create a new CATPart C alone, create a plane and publish it as "RefPlane" (same name), save the CATPart.

In your CATProduct replace CATPart A with CATPart C.

Then the offset plane in CATPart B is updated according to the new "RefPlane", if you do this without Publication your link is not change to the new CATPart C, and then it's no good.

In Assembly, let say you have a CATPart with a Hole, and another CATPart with an screw. If the axis of the screw is published and a constrainte exists for the 2 axis to be coincidence, then you can replace the screw with another one, the new one will take the old one place, as long as both have a publication of their axis with the same name.

Clear ?

Have fun

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

Thanks Thanks a lot. The answer of using publication had to do with "Replacement". OK I got it clear and thanks again.

beenson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back