Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

functionally graded materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. M. A

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2020
IQ
hi
I need help in writing a subroutine to represent continuously graded materials so that the young's modulus and the Poison ratio are variable with the location.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The simplest way would be to use distribution feature but this allows you to define spatially varying elastic properties only on element-by-element basis. To define them based on coordinates you would have to use USDFLD/VUSDFLD subroutine and set field variable dependence of elastic properties.

I mean an example for USDFLD subroutine and how can represent the variety in two variables, young's modulus, and Poisson ratio

Yet another simplified method (without the need for subroutine) would be to set temperature dependence of elastic properties and assign temperature distribution to the model via analytical field. Of course this will only work in case of regular stress analysis (without thermo-mechanical coupling).

But if you want to use USDFLD, check this thread for reference:
Abaqus documentation chapter about USDFLD will be also useful.

if I make the material properties depend on the temperature. I suppose that temperature values are fake because there is no thermal analysis. can I put any values of temperature and without changing anything in my model like partitioning it as you know there are some researchers suggest discretize the model and assign the required temperature to each region. I find some difficulties in implementing that in my case where I'm trying to calculate SIF in FGM by using a 3point bend specimen with an initial edge crack if you can show me the way I will be Grateful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back