Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fundamental natural Frequency; Sign Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

signeng

Structural
Dec 27, 2001
US
How do you calculate the fundamental natural frequency and damping ratio for a sign structure?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fundamental frequency of an structural assembly properly modeled should be ascertainable from 3D programs with dynamics capability. Maybe even modest cost RISA 3D can do it even with hinge inserts. Respect damping ratio, Chopra gives
Under 0.5 Fy stress...
0.02 to 0.03 for nude steel welded structures
0.05 to 0.07 for nude steel bolted structures
Just prior to yiel Under 0.5 Fy stress...
0.05 to 0.07 for nude steel welded structures
0.10 to 0.15 for nude steel bolted structures
It is simpler to design in accord to a code, that in Spain exist, albeit it won't be suited for some high seismic places.
Respect attached weights (panels) the model should be as complete as to not need further separate (and worse) account.
Also is of relevance how account is made of Vortex Shedding, and of local over-pressures. Basically, either you design by a code, or you descend to the "truth" in the science of construction, what no doubt for cases will discover weaknesses of the approved codes for a thing like the one you attempt detailed analysis of.

Actually a sign would be pretty basic: it's just a cantilever (correct me if I'm wrong, and your sign is very complex). So the stiffness would be 3EI/L, and the cyclical frequency omega would be = sqrt(k/m).

I agree with abhio. Programs may be required for complex calculations, but for a sign, its just a cantilever. Make sure you're looking at the correct natural frequency. Omega_n is the angular natural frequency (rad/s) and the natural frequency f_n would be [Omega_n/(2pi)] (Hz).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back