Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

My contractor just poured foundation last week.
He is already framing, is this normal to do this so quick, also the foundation is not smooth, some places you could see
Small rocks exposed 6" wide by 6'feet long.
Should I be worried?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the UK with our cements we get about 2/3 of the 28 day (or full) concrete design strength after 7 days so I would consider it ok to start erecting the framing. It would be unusual to get anything like the full load on an ordinary building structure untill well after 28 days from pouring foundation concrete.
What do you mean by "small rocks exposed"? Do you mean the agregate in the concrete? If it is a steel frame building and grout is poured under the baseplates after lining & leveling then dont worry about the roughness - the grout will fill that out.

In the US colonies it is typical to start that quick. Heavy loading should be avoided, ie anchor bolts should not be tightened for A few more weeks.

The gravel is usually tamped down when the mix is in the plastic state. The exposure of the rocks, sould be several things. I would quess it indicates a cold bond joint. This is when the concrete truck batches were not consective and the first placed concrete was hardened before the next truck arrived. Depending on the floor covering it should be filled and leveled with grout. Watch for cracking too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back