Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fungus resistance of TPU 3060?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YossiD

Military
Feb 14, 2010
IL
I am looking for information regarding fungus resistance of polyurethane material TPU 3060.

Also, can someone tell me what the 3060 designation means? A quick internet search led me to ISO 16365-1:2014 (Designation system ...), but I don't have that spec. I'm hoping that someone in the forum has access and can tell me what it means.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not me said:
Polyether polyurethanes were moderately to highly resistant to fungal attack, whereas all polyester polyurethanes tested were highly susceptible. ... The presence of side chains on the diol moiety of the polyurethane reduced susceptibility.

The more information you give the less work the forum has to do for free.

Thanks.

How can I know which type of polyurethane the TPU 3060 is (polyether, polyester, etc.), and is there somewhere I can get data regarding TPU 3060 fungus resistance?

I think the 3060 you are referring to is a 60 Shore D TPU on polyether basis. Usually how we would quality TPUs is we go by either Polyehter/Polyester and then look at the hardness you want and the grade density. With this I can probably pull out hundreds of alternatives since its a very common grade.
If you want extra fungus resistance, there are additives that can be put into the compound. There are many different antimicrobial/antifungus type of additives out there, some use copper or metal ingredients or put polymeric/chemical blockers/inhibitors in it. Any compounder can do that. Its more a question of cost. To my knowledge, there are no industry standards how to determine antimicrobial performance, so not sure how you would qualify and quantify it...
Also interesting to know would be, if you are extruding or injection molding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back