Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Funky 4 link design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGPoobah

Automotive
Dec 15, 2002
US
Hello everybody, I'm new here. I run a custom suspension shop in Arkansas, specializing in custom air-ride installation. if you're interested.

I'm looking for software that will allow me to simulate a 4 link suspension. The type I use most is a triangulated 4 link. I use autocad 2000 to design, and I have some control with the rotation command but it's sketchy at best. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That program is way too involved for what I am wanting to do. All I want to see is rotation of multiple objects in real time. Basically take a drawn-to-scale 1D autocad drawing and specify rotation from multiple points, set anchor points and watch it all actuate in real time. Is there something out there along those lines?

Well I downloaded it, and I believe it is exactly what I need. Now I will just need 2 or 3 years to figure out how to use the friggin thing. I think I'm going to need an eng. deg. to accomplish that. Why can't anything good be simple?

If you can get your hands on Solidwork, inventor, pro engineer of similar then you will be able to similate any suspension setup nicely.

You will probably find it quicker to learn susprog than one of these packages anyway!

Maybe I'm too simple minded, but wouldn't it be somewhat simple for someone to create a program like autocad, where you simply draw something to scale, set anchor points, rotation points, and point of force and animate it all? That's all I really need, the 'engineering' (as in the actual physical properties of the whole thing, stress points, etc) I don't need. I just wanna watch it move without having a degree! Is that too much to ask for??? :p

You should look into the Working Model program that Greg mentioned. There is a 2-d version that has the capability to do exactly what you are asking (I think), but I'm not sure how much money you will have to fork over to get it.
Good Luck
bhart

Also if you are using the autoCAD suite and have acces to 3dstudio VIS/MAx you should be able to set it up under that using IK. then you can set up key frames by moving your ends and all should work fine. Actually I only know for sure about 3DStudio MAX, though Gmax "should" be able to do what your looking for. Good luck. Also if free is in your list you can get blender3d but be careful thats an X inhouse game design tool so the learning curve is steep but look for ika tutorials and you should have a blender simulation in a few hours.
Again good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back