Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fuse or ground one leg of 230VAC???

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwong16

Electrical
Nov 6, 2006
US
If i had a standard 460 to 230VAC 60hz transformer, do i need to fuse both legs of the secondary 230VAC or am i suppose to just fuse one leg and ground the other. What does NEC specify?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i agree with waross..

and davidbeach..to the extent that a disconnect in a grounded conductor is not prohibited ( i said should not), but I would not have it unless required otherwise for some reason ( a trasfer switch between two separate grounded sources would be one..).

We can go on and on this subject. It is very simple for the people who understand grounding and can be very confusing to one who do not. I think, OP got more than adequate answers. If this is still not sufficient for the task at hand, I have nothing to add.

If safety is foremost in my priorities, I would choose a grounded system over ungrounded. This again can be a topic of debate for some, but not for me.

Where'd you get that transformer? I can't find anything like it in the catalogs. All they show is 120x240-volt secondary.

Care to share the manufacturer & model number?

Are you absolutely sure you can't pull a center-tap neutral out of your transformer?

Hi peebee;
230/460 was a common transformer voltage years ago. it is interchangable with a 240/480 volt transformer.
It may be from the UK or EU.
Pulling a center-tap out of a transformer that does not have one will void the approvals unless done by a shop with the authority to issue approvals on rebuilt equipment. For a small transformer that would probably cost more than a new transformer, particularly if it is potted.
Also, older electricians and engineers sometimes habitually refer to 120/240/480 systems as 115/230/460. That may have been the standard voltage when they recieved their training, or it may have been the voltage current when their mentors were trained. Unless there is a particular reason to know the exact voltage, I regard references to 220V, 230V, and 240V as equal.
If the exact voltage is important, measure it. It is seldom exactly 240 Volts, and if it is 240 volts at lunch time it will probably not be 240 volts at supper time.
respectfully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back