Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fuse supervision relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisimatza

Electrical
Nov 30, 2007
BE
Hi
Can you give me some technical description of fuse supervision -(some relay or other method to monitorize fuse melting)?
Also some models and manufacturers?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Which type of fuse? At what voltage? Which application do you have in mind? MV/LV protection fuse, control circuit, input to relays e.g distance? Shedd more light plz

Thanks for reply.

There are 2 models needed:
1: for 3 HRC fuses 40-100 A. Fuse monitor has 1 NO+1 NC contact, used in control.
400 V AC.
2. for 220 VDC fuse, 6 A, to protect control voltage in LV switchboard drawers. Fuse must be small, for example bottle type.

In the applications I have come across, the voltage is actually monitored just after the fuse. You may use continuous rated contactors. The condition of an MCB NOT tripped must also be met to alarm. Variuos manufactrurers have such contactors. I haven't come across a compact unit/relay for fuse failure supervision, may be in some distance relays.

Hi Pisimatza,

I may be missing something, but could it be as simple as putting a general-purpose relay's coil in parallel with the fuse? We do this all the time in controls work at lower voltages.

In the olden days, we used to put a Sylvania Blue-Dot photo flash bulb in parallel with the fuses. You could tell at a glance what was blown -- and if you happened to be nearby when it happened, the flash of light would alert you to a problem.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back