Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fuses for circuit powered by VFD DC bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

patm72

Electrical
Sep 2, 2004
CA
Hi, I'm trying to find fuses for the North American market (UL) to protect a low amperage circuit derived off of a VFD DC bus (650VDC+).
The circuit consists in a magnetic bearing controller used to levitate the shaft of a motor driven by the VFD.

The manufacturer recommends using 14x51 cylindrical fuses type gRC. I'd like to find the equivalent north american fuse if that exists. Or at the very least, a fast acting fuse with a 1000VDC and UL Listing. Seems like a hot commodity.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What amperage?

Fuses rated for 1000VDC are rare. Up to 25A we use Bussman JKS fuses for 480V drives, 810VDC max bus voltage, but we use two in series (and had them specially certified by Bussman). Then from 30 up to 600A, we use Bussman 170M 1000VDC rated IGBT fuses. In inverter circuits, you have to be mindful of the inductance rating of the fuse, the 170M is specially designed to be low inductance. Both are UL listed, neither are inexpensive.

Decent resource on this subject (and no, I have no connection to Eaton/ Cooper / Bussman).

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back