Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

G.E. Industrial Power Systems Data Book 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoboDemian1

Electrical
Jul 28, 2009
MX
hi everyone!!

I´m new in this forums and it looks great!
I´m electrical engineer involved in Industrial Plant Design.

Since some years ago, i have been looking for the G.E. Industrial Power Systems Data Book in pdf format.

Any kind of help would be highly appreciated

Best Regards

EgP...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think it exists as a .pdf. You might check with GE including your local sales engineer.

"Theory is when you know all and nothing works. Practice is when all works and nobody knows why. In this case we have put together theory and practice: nothing works... and nobody knows why! (Albert Einstein)

Actually, I just got my hands on the entire thing completely free a few weeks ago. I had also been chasing this GE Industrial Power Systems data book for the last two years.

Go to WorldCat here:

You'll see that the University of Iowa and MIT have it. Now you might be thinking what I thought about a year ago. That doesn't do me any good where I live.

Well, there is something called an interlibrary loan where you just go to your local library and they can probably arrange a loan with one of those two. I did this at my local big city library and 7-10 laters, I'm walking out of the library with this book in my hands! For free!

I know that isn't as good as getting a free pdf instantly. But, trust me, I tried to find it on the net from all different angles and came up completely empty handed.

I believe the correct title is Industrial Power Systems Handbook, with Donald Beeman as the editor, published by McGraw-Hill in 1955.

It shows up on amazon.com occasionally for about $200. (Years ago I found mine in a trash can when a middle mananger retired.)

busbar
The original book was a loose leaf book published by GE. they were free if you were in the right place and job. They were about 1000 pages and bound in a bider with rods not rings. Sometime in the early seventies (or maby before) they stopped printing them.
Beeman worked for GE and lots of the material in the Data book went into it.

A quick search for ""Industrial Power Systems Handbook" Beeman" returns some links for a pdf to download, they are from rapidshare and 4shared. Not sure about those sites. Being published in 1955 it may be public domain, I am not up on all the copyright laws.

BJC,

Thanks for sharing that file!

But, while you may be aware of it, others may not realize that that file's 8 pages are only the last of five sections under the tab "D-C System Short-circuit Current Calculations." The first four sections are:
Short-circuit Characteristics of D-c Motors and Generators (9 pages)
Short-circuit Characteristics of Electronic Power Converters (8 pages)
Short-circuit Characteristics of Lead-acid Storage Batteries (2 pages)
Short-circuit Characteristics of Synchronous Converters (2 pages)

It is the first of these for DC motors and generators that I have found the most helpful. The transient resistance numbers discussed for these machines are absolutely critical to any fault current analysis involving these machines. The bibliography for that first section may also represent the best of the old AIEE white papers on this subject.

HeneryOHM
Ive'e gpt them all ( the whole 1,000 pages + 0r - ). I thought someday I would get around to scanning them but now I don't have to.

Well, I must be lucky. I have my father in laws book by Beeman that he gave me when he retired and I have the GE original one in the binder that I recovered at a previous employer's site that was being disposed up.

BJC,

If you ever find yourself with time to scan that lot then please post the whole thing. You got any apprentices at your place? Sounds like a great job for an apprentice or an intern...

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Jon47532 said:
"A quick search for ""Industrial Power Systems Handbook" Beeman" returns some links for a pdf to download, they are from rapidshare and 4shared. Not sure about those sites. Being published in 1955 it may be public domain, I am not up on all the copyright laws."
Tried 4shared but the copy does not have a Chapter 5!

Does the Beeman book discuss DC fault current studies at all?

I guess I can't appreciate what the insight of the Beeman book is if it is focuses on AC analyses? Seems that there has been 50 years of follow-up in that area. But, DC fault current studies, now that's an area that appears to me to have had no follow-up since roughly 1955!

hi henryOHM,

i would like to add my name to the list of people chasing Donald Beeman's masterpiece. You will surely make a lot of people happy if you can share with us your book in pdf format. just what scottyuk and jon47532 said it may be a public domain now. besides its a GE publication which is given away for free to their clients so perhaps it would be ok sharing it online.

capuchi

I am not near my copy of the Industrial Handbook but I am pretty sure it has the explanation of power factor utilizing the mug of beer, no foam low power factor, lots of foam high power factor.

"I am pretty sure it has the explanation of power factor utilizing the mug of beer"

I downloaded it, but now I fear I am now going to delete it: I absolutely can not bear that analogy!

image.php

In Chapter 8 on capacitors,it states w.r.t. harmonics and capacitors "from a practical standpoint the subject can be dismissed"

Please use some sections of this book with caution.It was written long before the large increase in harmonic producing loads appeared on the electrical systems.

By contrast the chapters on rotating plant look pretty good.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back