Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gable end wood buildings 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rittz

Structural
Dec 30, 2007
CA
We are designing a wood building 80 x 100 16 ft side wall roof slope 3/12 thus peak height about 22 ft. We plan using 16 ft studs 2x8. At the gable end would you use laminated studs from foundation to roof? Or build the end to same height as the sidewall and then frame from there to the roof with regular studs and brace the "hinge" at the 16 ft mark to the roof structure in the attic. Many builders seem to be doing that

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

2009 IBC 2308.9.1 now states "... or shall be designed in accordance with accepted engineering practice".
I have done this twice and both times the builder rebuilt it as a balloon wall. One should also be careful with drop legs of stub scissor trusses, as many times they are not designed for the lateral load from the wall.

Garth Dreger PE
AZ Phoenix area

Thanks Mike
All I got there was a single page. I guess I need an URL for a site where the document can be ordered. We are Structural in Canada with Codes of our own obviously but I sense the 2009 IBC may be useful.

J

One page covers that section. I would not want to post the entire IBC here. Management would kill me. [bigsmile]

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

rittz,

The Canadian Wood Council (cwc.ca) publishes a tall wall guide for single storey commercial structures. 2007 version is the current one I think. It's good for tall walls up to about 40 ft. high. Lots of good info, however, I don't think it will answer your question about the gable ends. From my experience, I would keep all the walls at the same height, have gable end trusses and brace back up to the roof diaphragm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back