Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

galling

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwees

Mechanical
Aug 23, 2000
US
I have a roll and pin of D2 and S7 tool steels. Galling is a problem at the mating surfaces. Can this be related to the items being the same Rockwell hardness and if so, why? The hardness ranges are 58-62 Rc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have noticed in other manufacturing and tooling issues, galling is common. However my best preventative measure was with a silicon lubricant while processing materials such as aluminum. I'm not sure of your application and materials being processed, I have to suggest some experimentation with lubricants though.

Galling Problem

FRICTION FACT #2 - Lubricant Secret Word = Film-Strength

As An Example: Did YOU know that the nominal film-strength of conventional petroleum motor oil is approximately 400-PSI.

Yet, the nominal film-strength of 100% Full PAO SYNTHETIC motor oil is approximately 3,200-PSI that is an eight times greater lower coefficient of friction which means greatly REDUCED wear and better fuel economy of at least between 3 to 5 miles per gallon.

And since 1995 with advanced SUPER FUEL EFFICIENT formula 100% Full PAO SYNTHETIC motor oil up to as much as a 40% increase in fuel economy is being achieved in passenger vehicles.

Use ASTM-D-4172 Four Ball Wear Test to Determine Lubricant Galling Performance - The Smaller The Wear Scar The Greater The Protection Against Galling

Have A Fine NAVY Day

Tribologist@military.com
Applied Tribology PREDICTIVE Maintenance P2 Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back