Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Galvanic area effect/proximity

Status
Not open for further replies.

duddini

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2003
US
I have a general galvanic corrosion question, I'm early in the design phase so I have no firm details as yet. I know a large anode/small cathode is ideal, but in general will the anode corrode faster at the contact point with the anode (e.g. a steel housing with a Ti connector body) or will the low electrical resistance of the anode allow for a more uniform corrosion of the anode ?? My thoughts are there will be little or no difference, am I right ?

Thanks for any input.

"You can observe a lot just by watching"
Yogi Berra

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Oops, I meant at the contact point with the cathode. Sorry for the poor proof reading.

Yogi Berra

I depends (I love saying that).
Are the two items connected? good contact? is there a seal or gasket?
What about the conductivity of the electrolyte?

In general there will be more attack next to the contact. If there is fluid under the connection then you are really screwed.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Rust never sleeps
Neither should your protection

Hedging your bets I see :) Actually I'm looking at threading a connector with a Ti body into a large 4130 steel housing, so the area ratio will be good. This will be sitting in ~600 meters of seawater, little or no current at that depth. I was initially thinking the area ratio would negate any dissimmilar metal corrosion problems of the steel, but I wanted some thoughts from folks who have some experience. It sounds like there will be more corrosion near the point of metal contact. Seems like I need to give this some more thought.

Thanks Ed

Yogi Berra

The critical area will be in the threads, where there is essentially a 1:1 surface area ratio.

I wouldn't recommend a threaded connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back