Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Galvanic corrosion of Al alloy 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hlengani

Nuclear
Mar 27, 2007
ZA
I want to couple 5xxx series and 6xxx serie Al alloys so want to know if there might be a possibility of galvanic corrosion when immersed under seewater/corrosive medium since they are both Al and i assume that they might be close to each other in the series (Galvanic Series.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

5XXX and 6XXX alloys are close to each other galvanically. For full immersion, you won't need to worry about galvanic corrosion - 6XXX series alloys have mass loss and pitting that are twice or three times that of 5XXX, so their general corrosion behavior is the limiting factor.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Thanks so much CoryPad, although they are close to each other, i think there should be a maximum recommended pontential difference above which galvanic corrosion could be the limiting factor and i am looking for that info as well.

keep in mind that with galvanic corrosion there is more to consider than just the potential difference. The relative area of the anodic vs cathodic alloy is also important and can have a strong effect on the rate of corrosion. Small anode w/ big cathode = worse than the reverse stituation.

First, the good news: As seen in the table in strider6's link, Al 5052 is so close galvanically to Al 6061-T6 that, depending on its temper (thermomechanical history), it can be higher or lower in galvanic potential.

Now, the bad news: In many 5000-series alloys, particularly those above 2.5% Mg, poor temperature control during initial processing or any exposure to high temperatures (e.g., storage in summer sunlight), segregation of Mg to the grain boundaries occurs. This Mg (or Mg[sub]2[/sub]Al[sub]3[/sub] given enough time) is anodic to the [α]-Al solid solution matrix. So, intense localized galvanic corrosion can occurs. Commonly called 'cauliflower' as it resembles white florets.

A good idea to anodize or else conversion coat + paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back