Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gaming Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMIS

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2000
US
I had been thinking about trying a new device since my Space Navigator wasn't getting much use due to the lack of enough buttons. I had seen a slew of devices discussed and the Belkin n52te was mentioned. So when it came on sale at WOOT.com for $35 shipped I jumped at it. Is anyone out there using these currently? If so have you worked out a key assignment profile that works well for you? It would be nice to try one that has already been tried rather than go the trial and error method of refining the set-up.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm no expert... but I have a gaming pad I used to use with Halo (again, not much experience there either). But I seemed to me that it was just a smaller, specialty shaped keyboard. I'm guessing you'll have to figure out what keystrokes your game pad emulates, then assign a short cut to that keystroke. Then you get to memorize where the commads are on your game pad. So why not just create the keyboard shortcuts and use the keyboard as-is? Do you really want another input devise jockeying for space on you desk? Keyboard, mouse, SpaceNavigator, and a game pad too?

Jack L Tate said:
Right-click. It's friggin' magic!
FAQ376

With the gaming pad I don't have to take my eyes off the monitor. I have 59 control triggers under one hand that can be set up to run intuitively. Even just having a left hand number entry pad helps. The only time I need the keyboard is when I have to enter allot of text.
The one thing I can think of that I wish I could change on this pad is the method of changing between character sets. Right now it has a thumb button that channels through the three sets, so if I'm on set 3 and want set 2 I have to click it twice to get there. A sliding 3 position switch would be better because you can go directly to the set you want and also have a tactile reference for which set you're in.

It isn't too hard to adopt the key position memory if you set it up well. I had had my keyboard set up with hot keys and used them constantly but unless you get into shift/ctrl/alt combinations you step on the ones SW already has assigned. Currently my memory of my keyboard possitions is the hardest thing to overcome in switching to the controller.

I've used gaming pads for games but not for work, though I've considered it. I find them substantially superior to hotkeys on the keyboard because the modifier keys (equiv. to shift, control, alt) are in places that are far more convenient for single-handed use. What I don't think would work is adopting somebody else's setup for one, as everyone's opinion of what functions should be where is different.

The downside is that it gets harder to do things quick on a co-worker's computer.

The downside is that it gets harder to do things quick on a co-worker's computer.
That is what drove me away from left hand mousing. I preferred the left side and used the right hand to type and punch in numbers. With a wireless mouse now I can get away with it.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Typically your design expertise and knowlege of SolidWorks will equate to your overall "speed"... not so much how many custom widgets you got hooked up (IMHO).

Having said that, understand that you'd have to pry my SpaceBall from my cold dead left hand... and I'd still come to get it back one night!

But if the "cool" factor is driving your decision, then go for it and be sure to review it for us.

Jack L Tate said:
Right-click. It's friggin' magic!
FAQ376

I've been using the gaming pad for a little while now. It has been good so far and I expect it will get better as my brain gets trained to it. One change I'd make to it if I could would be to change the button that switches between the 3 sets of key definitions into a slider so that I can physically tell which set I'm on without having to look down to see if the LED is red green or blue. A sliding 3 position switch would give better tactile feedback. As to it being hard to work on a co-worker's computer, This controller has a ting called Razer Synapse where it stores your profile in on-board memory so that you only have to carry it to your co-workers system and plug it in the USB port. I haven't tried it yet so I don't yet know what complications might arise from having to get drivers installed. Hopefully it is similar to plugging in a common mouse. One function on the pad that seems a bit sticky is the "joystick" type controller that is what looks like the cross shaped thumb controller on most game controllers. It is hard to get the full 8 positions to activate. The "between" positions are the hardest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back