Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gantry Crane Normal Modes of Operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

magreen

Mechanical
Mar 24, 2007
JP
Hi,

For the design of a gantry crane I need to know what is the normal mode of operation actually used by crane operators. The crane capacity is 25tons, with height of 15m and a total span of 52m and 32m span between the two legs. I would like to know if it is normal for operators to lower or lift the loaded grab while travelling or traversing.

While I feel it is safer to lock the traveling and traversing movements while the grab is in operation, I am not sure that the locking of movement would apply unwanted stress on operators when they want to do simultaneous operations but they can't.

Any advice is appreciated.

magreen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would like to know if it is normal for operators to lower or lift the loaded grab while travelling or traversing.

yes, this is almost always done.
The larger the load, the slower the movements though.

Just remember, just under half of the time, the crane will be empty, and the operator is trying to move the empty hook BACK to the loading point to get another load. He will be lifting and rolling at the same time.

There should be no such limit on the control logic of the crane against this.

There might be different load limits depending on how far from span center the lift point is. The mass properties of the load may also be considered when performing a lift. A load that has a large inertia or has a vertical CG close to the lift point might require more careful lifting and traversing movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back